MIAMI, FLORIDA: A Florida mother accused of drowning her autistic 9-year-old son on a canal and then fabricating a fake kidnapping story could be sentenced to death after being accused of first-degree murder. A Miami Dade jury this week brought back an indictment against his 45-year-old mother, Patricia Ripley, from her son Alejandro’s death in the drowning in May. On Thursday morning, October 29, the court hearing took place as prosecutors announced they would demand the death penalty for Patricia.
Under Florida law, only a person accused by the grand jury could be sentenced to death. According to the Miami Herald, Ripley is currently charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, severe child abuse, and filing a fake police report.
In June, he claimed not guilty against these numbers. Authorities announced that Ripley claimed he was ambushed by two Black men in Miami on the evening of May 21st. Anne also alleged that the assailants demanded drugs and took her cell phone, tablet, and son before escaping, which led to an Amber Alert in Miami. Officers responded to the scene at around 21:00 on May 21 at the 15750 block of Southwest 88th Street. A store employee told WSVN that he heard the kidnappers allegedly hit his mother’s car before he left with the child.
The next morning, as the police interrogated the woman, the boy’s body was removed from a canal at the Miccosukee Golf and Country Club. The statement of arrest stated that he made “contradictory statements” and was exposed to the testimony of witnesses and video footage of two attempts to strangle his child. Ripley caresses his head as the mother and child walk, according to footage from Univision. She then looks like she’s pushing her into a canal in the Kendall Acres Apartment complex. He then continues to escape from the screen before returning with the neighbors who hear the shouts and save the boy.
Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said Ripley drove her son on the other channel at the golf club an hour later. Fernandez Rundle said, “Unfortunately, when I took him to the second channel and there was nobody there. He tried once and people saved it. He was alive. He could survive. Of all the facts of the case, he intended to kill him. “The prosecutor noted that the boy was not verbal, he could not tell his first rescuers what happened to his mother. He cannot say anything to his rescuers. We are talking about the silence of the children. This is another level of silence. The prosecutor was incapable of saying” my mother put me in the water “,” he added.
We previously reported that about two dozen people attended a memorial service for Alejandro on Friday, May 22nd. According to WPLG-TV, the memorial took place outside the Miami Friendship Circle, a center for children with special needs that the boy attended before the coronavirus lockdown.